Saturday, May 24, 2008

Day Three 24 May 2008

Start: Rte 49 at Johnson Rd

End: Wyassup lake Rd by gate.

Planted car at end and J and S dropped us off at Rte 49.

Followed Narragansett Trail, point to point. nice trails, which like other sections were crisscrossed by multiple single track trails and old cart roads, some you could almost drive a car on. Trail condition was fair with a lot of blow downs and such, trail markings confusing at times we missed two turns and a few others had unclear intersections.

Right at the beginning, the trail follows a little steam that meanders north, minimal evidence of foot traffic here unlike some others where heavy ATV use has exposed roots and rocks and black mud. Once on higher ground and following endless stone walls I saw some barbed wire fence on a tree, I wondered how much time has passed since these were fields and how old the trees were? Old as me?

This trail is known for some high cliffs with views, we kind of missed the second one (High ledge) as we came to an unmarked fork with equally worn paths, I took the low one and probably would have gone back up if not for a couple of hikers following me who went that way. So I missed the views of the water.

I saw a big black snake stretched perpendicular to the trail maybe about 4-5 feet. Dom must have walked right over it and I didn't notice it until I had passed it.

A lot of wet spots made worse by ATM wear, rocky ledges and hemlocks,

It was supposed to be a perfect day but it was overcast for all the hike and no rain, all the trees couldn't see the sky anyway. Got my first mosquito bite of the year.

Length of days hike; Undetermined. 5-6 miles by time estimate

next leg: Wyassup Lake Rd to Ryder Rd, Narragansett Trail.

No comments: