Saturday, July 5, 2008

11th Leg 2 July 2008

In and Out from Judson Rd south through Beebe Pond Park to Brook St.

Before work. Approximate distance 1.5 miles, total 3 miles. estimate by time.

This was the first section of a walk through Groton that I was hoping to be a single point to point walk with two cars, but instead it has become a series of in and outs. this grand Groton walk would have been Pequot woods, beeebe pond, both Town of Groton Parks) Haley Farm and Bluff point State parks.

This walk started in woods south from 210 Judson Rd and followed blue marked trails that i scouted out last week by bike. A blue marked trail circled the pond and met on a parking lot near the Noank Rd. In all of my bike rides by Beebe Pond park I thought it was going to be a big place a park with ball fields, tennis courts, fields paved paths but all it is a sign and a bunch of woods trails. Great place.

On the day of my walk it was foggy and misty, I immediately lost the route of my bicycle ride last week and ended up on the west side of the pond's trail. That was OK. The main road a numbered route between Noank and Mystic wasn't too bad with sidewalk and little traffic early in the day.

The road went along some inlet from LI sound and at one place a yard ended at the water and all I could see were posts of a dock, a few minutes on my return the fog had lifted and I could see all the way across the inlet to RR tracks- pretty cool.

My turn around point was the Brook Rd intersection, at the end of it was a grass triangle with a brass bell with the names of four Noank residents who were lost in wars, one at Fort Griswold, the other three in WW II.

I returned and got a little lost by the turn off from the blue trail back to Judson, not too bad, as there were a a few side trails but unlike Voluntown there isn't a lot of area to get lost in. Heard some deer that Domino chased but all I saw were tracks.

No comments: