Saturday, July 12, 2008

Leg 17, July 12 2008

4.3 Miles, parked at Ridgewood and Niles Hill

When first thinking about this walk I thought of walking along the shore along the Sound, maybe Ocean beach then Waterford, Harkness and maybe Seaside. Then doubts started about walking the dog on beaches in the summer. First noticed a great big "NO DOGS sign last week at Ocean Beach. I skipped that idea until this Am when i thought I would give it shot, maybe I could sneak in early in the morning on a Saturday walk the shore and then return on the roads?

I got to the Waterford beach pay booth and there was piece of paper stapled to the side, "No dogs $100 fine" sign, so I skipped that idea, and when I got to the first Harkness service entrance, there was another no dog sign, So much for that idea, and so we stayed on the main road.
A really nice road.

I know this section of road from after work bike rides, it is a very quiet and scenic underdeveloped section of road with a lot of woods and spaces on road side. It might be one the nicest shore roads on the coast of this part of southern New England.

Saw a few small birds I didn't recognize and turned out to be baby turkeys, I gave them a wide berth and waited for Mom and dad to hop over a fence before going on. This place is crawling with deer and we saw none, though I am sure that many of the sniffs were from deer.

We turned around at Magonk Point which has really nice views of the sound at the end, we didn't go this time but maybe the nest leg.

It wasn't as hot but Dom was still tired and enjoyed the shade and wet grass.

There is sure is an opportunity here for a better walk here , the shore is all public: first, city of New London(Ocean beach), then Waterford town Beach and CT's Harkness and then Seaside, so in theory anyway there is public land for a walk path. Maybe there already is?

No comments: