Sunday, July 27, 2008

Twenty, 27 July 2008


Parked at Cini Park, East Lyme,CT under Rte 156 Bridge, turn around point, intersection of Fairfield and Black Point Rd. Length, 4.4 miles.

Well, this is our twentieth walk and the 'as the crow flies' across Connecticut is just about 20 miles, so even though we have been getting a lot of miles in, we are making slow progress. That is fine as we are taking our time and often taking the scenic route.

Today was notable because of weather, I left home in a rain and by the time we started we were exposed to thunderstorms. It was never really bad and except for maybe three downpours it was pretty dryish. I decided to walk in my sandals which is about as far as I have gone in those things.

I didn't like Niantic much, not walk friendly, It, like the the shore of Waterford with all its "NO" signs was a big turnoff. Along the shore in Niantic, they have a nice boardwalk along the water. No Dogs. A nice park west of the boardwalk, No Dogs. I guess my patience with walking along the shore in summer is getting thin.

Our turn around point was just past a narrow AMTRAK underpass which was near church that was just starting mass, need I say more?



At a park with a 6 foot chain link fence and obligatory "no dog" signs, I saw a little monument that i could not read but i think it marked the extinction of the Nehantic tribe, who had a reservation on black point and all that land was taken, to become seaside homes of exclusion.

And, this was the first walk in a while where Dom wasn't overheated, in our past few walks she has been really hot and stopping alot to rest in cool grass, today, looking like a wet rat, she was pulling the leash most of the way.

No comments: